Today’s post is from Sally over at ThinkTankHome and it puts a lasered focus on a nasty environmental toxin—mold. Since I live in Florida, with a hot and humid climate more than half the year, mold is vastly abundant. Back when I used to sell real estate, there were mold disclosures (I’m sure those are still in place today) and building inspectors were to make notes about any mold findings. Even the termite inspector is required to note any wood rot, mold, etc.
Through all my years of being a Realtor, I definitely got to see my fair share of mold. The more you know what to look for (or smell for), the better equipped you can be in keeping your family (and yourself) safe.
So go on and check out this very informative article and share your questions in the comments below.
While mold is always going to be around your house in small amounts, letting it grow and spread can cause more than just a funky smell in your living room. Mold spores can be detrimental to your health, causing conditions from allergic reactions to pulmonary irritation, infections, and even toxic effects.
There are a few types of mold that are commonly found in Florida homes, including:
● Aspergillus: This yellowish mold grows on food and in air conditioners and can lead to serious lung infections in those with weakened immune systems if left to grow unchecked.
● Cladosporium: Black or dark green in color, this mold is commonly found in bathrooms, painted surfaces, and fiberglass ducts. It’s not toxic, but it can trigger an allergic reaction.
● Stachybotrys: Also known as black mold, this fungus is found in excessively damp environments. While it’s not toxic, it can cause respiratory symptoms, particularly in children.
Mold can grow in pretty much any environment that’s warm, wet, and dark. Humid areas like Florida are particularly susceptible to indoor molds. Since a lot of us spend a good deal of time inside, it’s important that we take steps to reduce the amount of mold growing in our homes to improve air quality and keep our lungs healthy. There are a couple of all-natural solutions that you can try to eliminate mildew, because the only mold living in your house should be in a block of blue cheese.
Tea Tree Oil
Not only is tea tree oil great for the skin, but it also has antifungal properties that make it an excellent way to rid your home of mold while leaving a great smell behind. You can use it in a liquid for or aerosolize it, and the oil is safe to use on most surfaces. Simply take two cups of water and two teaspoons of tea tree oil and either apply or spray the solution wherever you see mold growing.
Distilled white vinegar kills mold on contact while preventing new spores from forming, offering a long-term solution for persistent mold and mildew problems. Simply use a spray bottle to cover areas where mold is growing. If the smell is too strong for your tastes, you can always add a few drops of lemon oil for a more pleasant scent.
A 3% hydrogen peroxide solution like the kind you might find in your first aid kid effectively kills mold in just a matter of minutes. Simply spray, wait, and wipe the mold away with a damp cloth. You can even combine it with vinegar for an extra-strength cleaning solution.
Baking soda mixed with water or vinegar is a good way to clean moldy surfaces for people who are sensitive to smells. Sodium bicarbonate helps to inhibit the growth of fungus, and it’s mild enough to use on even delicate household surfaces.
Sally is a professional freelance writer with many years experience across many different areas. She made the move to freelancing from a stressful corporate job and loves the work-life balance it offers her. When not at work, Sally enjoys reading, hiking, spending time with her family and traveling as much as possible.
Think Tank Home
What are your thoughts on mold? Let’s connect in the comments below!
PS: If you enjoyed this article, share it with a friend who could benefit from it!